2019 is the year of mobile, and 2020 and 2021 and on and on until we have little computers stored in our heads, allowing us to search anything, at any moment.
Maybe that’s a little dramatic and far fetched but just imagine how far we’ve come in the last 30 years. At this moment we’re all walking around with miniature computers in our hands. We have access to so much information at the touch of a hand.
First, think about everyone you know.
Do they all have a smart phone? Yes?
Now, think about how at any moment with one thought of “I wonder….” or “I need…” or “I want…” they can reach down into their pocket and immediately search for it.
What is it?
It is Power – Knowledge – Access
Everyone is searching for an answer. They’re often also searching for products or services. That’s why it’s important that you as a business owner or leader of a marketing department take your online presence seriously. Not just from an organic standpoint but also from a paid perspective, especially on mobile.
How do you avoid missing out?
- Take action to make your website optimized for mobile. That means create an experience customized to every device by making sure content flows easily and that users are engaged. Begin to think about design, wording, length of wording, localization and personalization with your brand and how that is reflected from a mobile perspective. Did you know that Google made indexing mobile-first official this year? This means that Google predominantly uses the mobile version of the content for indexing and ranking a website. Another big reason why you should take mobile seriously and prevent yourself from missing out.
- Next, be aware of your brand terms on Google. Did you know others can bid on your terms? When users pull out their phone and search for your brand terms, other businesses can show up above your organic listing. You don’t want to lose a potential customer to a competitor who’s bidding on your brand terms! Start bidding on your brand terms on Google and you’ll have the coverage you need. You can customize the copy how you want and it gives you more real estate on the search engine results page.
- For brand and non-brand search ads, start running mobile only campaigns with specific ad copy messaging related to phones. For example, “Order From Your Phone Now!”
- Non-brand ads are a no-brainer if you want to capture users searching for product or services related to your business. Earlier I spoke to how we all have little computers in our hands with access to search anything at any time…… so don’t miss out on that volume. Get your ads up and running. Create mobile specific copy and test it out!
- If your an App, check out UAC (Universal App Campaigns) which are Google’s app specific campaigns. They’re fully automated and do most of the work for you to help promote your app.
- Lastly, invest in SEO (search engine optimization) and make sure that person is well-versed in mobile indexing. An SEO specialist will want to check on the content, structured data, metadata, XML and media sitemaps, Search Console and more. They’ll be able to help you from an organic perspective. DDM can help from a paid perspective!
In conclusion, take your mobile presence (organic & paid) seriously. Take action to be aware of your mobile presence and look into ways to improve it. Start testing out different wording, ad types, copy, imagery. When you’re testing, you’re learning. When you’re learning, you’re improving and who doesn’t want to improve to be the best they can be?